Pullorum/Typhoid (P/T) Testing
CONTACT HUTH AVIAN SERVICES TO HAVE YOUR FLOCK P/T TESTED!
- If you take poultry to exhibition events, poultry shows, maintain a breeder flock, or sell poultry to the public, your poultry must be tested annually and found to be free of Pullorum-Typhoid infection.
- All domesticated poultry and game bird species aside from waterfowl are tested.
- All birds tested for Pullorum-Typhoid with the Rapid Whole Blood Test (RWBT) must be at least 16 weeks of age or nearing sexual maturity at the time of testing. First year testing serves as the qualifying testing year for your poultry program, and 100% of your flock must be tested in order to qualify your exhibition poultry, breeding flock, baby poultry and hatching eggs.
FLOCK-TEST FEE STRUCTURE:
50 cents/mi......... $1/bird w/$15 minimum......... 50% down to set appt.
Temporary PT certificates will be given to clients w/negative results following testing. Permanent certificates will arrive in the mail and remain valid for 1 yr after testing the flock is complete. (Testing done at shows is valid only for the length of the show and is $1/bird.)
Prior to testing day (for home flock testing, not testing at shows):
Email a list of the poultry at your property with the following rubric: Species, Size (Large Fowl, Bantam), Breed, Total # of that breed (Chicken, LF, Marans, 22). Variety of the breed is not needed for testing.
The day of testing (home flock testing):
1: Secure your poultry in an enclosed coop or run so you can easily catch them for testing. (Clients that require excessive time to complete their testing because their poultry was not confined prior to the appointment will be subject to additional testing fees.)
2. Setup an area where 1-10 birds can be kept during testing until the test results for that group has been cleared with a negative reading of their test spots.
3. Strict biosecurity protocols will be taken to provide safe testing for your flock (including sanitized footwear, sanitized equipment and testing materials, along with outer wear worn at your location only.
4. The owner will catch and hold birds for testing. Once secured, the owner will present the wing so a drop of blood is taken from the vein on the underside of the wing. After collection is complete, that bird will be placed into the holding area until the current batch test is complete and all birds in the group are confirmed free from infection. If you have a large number of broody hens and pullets, or an outbreak of disease at your property, it is your responsibility to contact Casey Carter 24-hours in advance to reschedule your appointment when your flock is healthy and fit for testing. Refunds will NOT be given for Appointment Fees due to the testing agent arriving at your property at the scheduled time and your flock is in the midst of a disease outbreak or if the client has forgotten about the appointment and is not available for testing at the scheduled appointment.